- RSS Channel Showcase 5313149
- RSS Channel Showcase 5304268
- RSS Channel Showcase 9509827
- RSS Channel Showcase 8459511
Articles on this Page
- 10/27/18--00:12: _Hugh Heckman Fired ...
- 10/27/18--00:16: _Alexander Barter Ar...
- 10/27/18--04:31: _Democratic Congress...
- 10/27/18--08:21: _Prince Harry Pays T...
- 10/27/18--08:23: _Dead Women Found Du...
- 10/27/18--08:45: _At Least Eight Kill...
- 10/27/18--09:08: _Trump Health Care M...
- 10/27/18--09:08: _Robert Bowers Pictu...
- 10/27/18--10:50: _Trump Says Outcome ...
- 10/27/18--12:21: _Megyn Kelly’s Co-Wo...
- 10/27/18--12:38: _Elizabeth Warren Ha...
- 10/27/18--13:38: _Tekashi 6ix9ine Cel...
- 10/27/18--15:44: _PayPal Drops Gab Fo...
- 10/27/18--16:52: _Cesar Sayoc Glorifi...
- 10/27/18--18:05: _Obama Urges America...
- 10/27/18--19:00: _Synagogue Shooting ...
- 10/27/18--19:18: _Wounded Pittsburgh ...
- 10/27/18--19:22: _Saudi Journalist Ja...
- 10/27/18--19:52: _Powerball October 2...
- 10/27/18--21:29: _Did Anyone Win The ...
- 10/27/18--12:38: Elizabeth Warren Has A Plan To Close The Racial Wealth Gap
- 10/27/18--13:38: Tekashi 6ix9ine Celebration Shooting Leads To Two Arrests
- 10/27/18--15:44: PayPal Drops Gab Following Pittsburgh Shooting
- 10/27/18--16:52: Cesar Sayoc Glorified Vladimir Putin, Spread Russian Propaganda
For 72-year-old news writer Hugh Heckman, a single comment about Meghan Markle has turned his life upside down. According to a lawsuit that he filed on Thursday against PBS News Hour Productions, Hugh believes that he was wrongfully terminated based on his gender.
The lawsuit detailed how he saw a photo of Meghan Markle, and told another male employee, “not bad,” in “a low tone of voice.” This reportedly led to a female employee taking action, described The Wrap.
“[The female employee] heard this remark and criticized Plaintiff, stating that he had acted in contravention to the training that all employees had recently attended regarding sexual harassment in the workplace.”
While Heckman then told the female employee that his comment wasn’t meant to be sexual, it eventually led to him being “regretfully” let go by an executive producer. They reportedly cited the incident with the “not bad” comment as the reason.
A 21-year-old man from Texas man is being accused of accessing the dark web and using it for something especially dark and twisted. A report from Fox News states that Alexander Nathan Barter was arrested on October 19 by the FBI for allegedly posting on the dark web that he needed some assistance in finding a young girl to make his cannibalistic and necrophiliac dreams come true.
In the ad posted, Barter allegedly provided two encrypted email addresses for willing participants to respond to his request.
News station KTRE reports that an undercover law enforcement officer responded to Barter’s initial request, posing as the father of a young girl, and offered his daughter to help Barter fulfill his desires. Barter reportedly responded to the undercover officer asking, “How old is your daughter?” and “Can we kill her?”
Rochelle Ritchie, a former Democratic congressional aide, warned Twitter about a threat that she received from Cesar Sayoc earlier this month. Sayoc is accused of mailing 13 pipe bombs to top Democrats and others whom Donald Trump frequently targeted, according to Inquisitr.
Ritchie took to Twitter and posted that she had reported an account purportedly linked to Sayoc, telling them that he had threatened her after she appeared on Fox News. The former spokeswoman for the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s office, who now works as a Fox News political analyst, tweeted that Twitter found that the threat was not serious.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have spent the last week in Australia, attending the 2018 Invictus Games. The competitive event was created by Harry back in 2014, and features eleven parasport events like wheelchair basketball and tennis for wounded, injured and sick war veterans. During the closing ceremony, one participant is awarded the Jaguar Land Rover Above and Beyond Award. This year, that honor went to Edwin Vermetten, for actions he took in the middle of a tennis event that brought one of his teammates back from the brink of a PTSD episode so he could continue playing. Harry paid tribute to Vermetten through Instagram for the “friendship, or as the Aussies call it ‘mateship,’ as a core value that has the power to inspire the world.”
The two women whose dead bodies were found duct-taped together on the shores of the Hudson River have been identified as Rotana Farea, 22, and her younger sister, 16-year-old Tala Farea, two missing sisters from Virginia.
As The New York Post reports, the two women had been last seen in Virginia on August 24, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. It is not clear, as of this writing, how their remains were identified.
As The Metro reported at the time, last week biker Martin Castillo, 40, was riding his bike through New York City’s Riverside Park when he made the grisly discovery: the bodies of two women, duct-taped together, on the rocks alongside the Hudson River. Authorities believed the women had died in the river and that their bodies had been pushed onto the rocks by the incoming tide, and then left there as the tide receded.
[This article has been updated.]
At least eight people are reported to have been killed in a deadly shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue, according to various emerging reports.
KDKA-2 (a CBS affiliate station) reported that law enforcement officials rushed to The Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania after receiving reports that a gunman had opened fire during a prayer meeting. Multiple people are reported to have been injured while police believe the number of fatal casualties may rise.
At the time of writing, the active shooter is no longer at large, with KDKA reporting that a white male has surrendered. KDKA reporter Megan Schiller said that the suspect, whom some reports have suggested to be in his 40s, appeared to be injured, and was crawling at the time she saw him. As reported by The Guardian, the suspect reportedly “walked in yelling ‘All Jews must die'”.
Within a 12-hour span on this past week, the Trump administration made two seemingly contradictory moves that could have a huge impact on the health insurance marketplace, according to NPR.
The first move was for Trump administration health officials to issue guidance that would undermine the health exchanges for people who buy their own health insurance, as reported by The Center For Medicare and Medicaid Services. This maneuver makes it easier for states to dodge some Affordable Care Act requirements, including allowing the use of federal subsidies for plans with less coverage that can reject customers who have pre-existing conditions.
The contradictory move came later the same evening, when the administration proposed a rule that would allow consumers to acquire tax-free money from their employer in lieu of an employer group plan that could then be used to acquire a privately-purchased individual plan on the exchange, according to the Department of Labor.
Robert Bowers has been identified as the suspect who opened fire in a Pittsburgh synagogue, leaving 12 injured and at least eight dead.
Police had not yet released the identity of the suspect but a number of local sources including KDKA identified him as Bowers. The report said that he walked into the crowded synagogue in a Jewish neighborhood and yelled “All Jews must die!” before opening fire.
The man reportedly fired on police when they arrived on the scene, but he was ultimately captured by police. Reporters are now starting to share details on Robert Bowers and his possible motive for the attack. Many have traced his apparent hatred of Jewish people, including his online postings where he ranted against Jews and expressed a belief that President Donald Trump was controlled by Jews.
In a statement in response to the shooting near a synagogue in Pittsburgh, President Donald Trump contented that the “devastating” outcome would have been different if the synagogue “had some kind of protection” from an armed guard, adding that it is a good idea for all churches and synagogues to consider implementing such measure, the Washington Post is reporting.
“It’s a ‘terrible thing what’s going on with hate in our country,” Trump told reporters Saturday at about 12:30 p.m. local time, according to the Washington Post, adding that the violence “has to stop.”
Speaking to reporters at Andrews Air Force Base before traveling to Indianapolis, the president also said that these types of shooters should receive the death penalty and “suffer the ultimate price.”
On Tuesday’s broadcast of Megyn Kelly Today, Kelly defended wearing blackface as part of a Halloween costume. On Wednesday, she offered a tearful on-air apology in which she said that she had learned her lesson as a result of the backlash received related to her remarks and included two African-American panelists to talk about the history of blackface that makes it so offensive. On Thursday, there were rumors that, unless a miracle happened, Megyn Kelly was out at NBC, with one source saying, “We are just working out timing of the announcement but mark my word — she is gone and will never be seen on NBC live again.”
According to Slate, Senator Elizabeth Warren created an extensive housing plan called the American Housing and Economic Mobility Act. The plan intends to reverse and remove decades of governmental housing discrimination and to close the racial wealth gap that has accompanied that discrimination.
While disparities in economic equality can find their roots in as far back as slavery, the housing crisis that can be easily traced to present-day started in the era of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. While “Roosevelt’s New Deal built an American middle class,” it also built an extreme racial pay gap via programs and practices that “were discriminatory in practice.” The New Deal birthed “redlining,” which was the process of government and private institutions “refusing to provide loans” to whomever they chose, which ended up mostly affecting the black community.
The New York Police Department has taken two Tekashi 6ix9ine associates into custody for their alleged role in sparking a brawl that led to the shooting of one man and the injuring of another outside of a Midtown Manhattan restaurant heading into the weekend.
Page Six reports that 33-year-old Zachary Bunce of Wyandanch, Long Island, and 29-year-old Faheem Walter, of Brooklyn, were arrested less than 24 hours after they were identified as the individuals responsible for setting off a melee at the entrance of Philippe Chow on East 60 Street near Madison Avenue on Friday evening, October 26.
The world’s most popular payment platform PayPal severed ties with Gab following reports that suspected Pittsburgh shooter Robert Bowers was an avid user, The Verge reports.
Gab, which prides itself on being a social network that “champions free speech,” will now have to seek alternative payment options. In a brief statement supplied to The Verge, a PayPal spokesperson confirmed the ban.
“When a site is explicitly allowing the perpetuation of hate, violence or discriminatory intolerance, we take immediate and decisive action.”
Robert Bowers allegedly opened fire on a Pittsburgh synagogue earlier today, killing 11 and wounding six individuals, according to Time.
Immediately after the alleged Pittsburgh shooter’s name became known to the public, reports about Bowers’ Gab use started surfacing. Hours before committing what President Donald Trump described as an “anti-Semitic act,” the following message was reportedly posted on Gab.
As information continues to surface about the background, life, and beliefs carried by Cesar Sayoc, the public now finds itself considering that the serial mail-bomb suspect may have been so committed to following Donald Trump’s lead that he naturally assumed the president’s alleged loyalty to Vladimir Putin as his own.
The Washington Post has reportedly come into possession of hundreds of postings that Facebook removed from the view of the public soon after Sayoc’s arrest. A red flag that was raised during the publication’s surveying of the 56-year-old Florida resident’s far-right political rants and musings on soccer and mixed martial arts came by way of a number of status updates, photos, and memes he’s shared in homage to Putin and in defense of Russia’s support of Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria. It is alleged that between the years 2015 and 2016 Sayoc also published videos and links that could be traced back to sites with pro-Kremlin propaganda.
Hours after a gunman — later identified by the media as 46-year-old Robert Bowers — opened fire at a Pittsburgh synagogue, former President Barack Obama addressed the nation via Twitter, The Hill reports.
Obama expressed his condolences for the victims of the shooting, and urged Americans to “fight the rise of anti-Semitism.”
“We grieve for the Americans murdered in Pittsburgh. All of us have to fight the rise of anti-Semitism and hateful rhetoric against those who look, love, or pray differently.”
The former president also addressed the fact that the shooter was able to obtain a deadly firearm, arguing that the United States needs to “stop making it so easy for those who want to harm the innocent to get their hands on a gun.”
According to Time, the suspected shooter was armed with an assault rifle and three hand guns. He reportedly barricaded himself in the third floor the Tree of Life Synagogue after shooting 11 and wounding six individuals, and then exchanged fire with the police.
Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting suspect Robert Bowers bought into baseless conspiracy theories that Jews – notably, philanthropist George Soros – are financing the migrant caravan headed toward the United States’ Southern border.
The above allegation was reported by Washington correspondent for the Toronto Star Daniel Dale, via Twitter. Dale also noted that Bowers disliked President Trump because he thought he was “too soft on Jews.”
“The suspect also appeared to suggest, baselessly, that Jews were behind or connected to the caravan,” Dale wrote.
A glance at Bowers’ alleged and recently deleted Gab profile – contents of which are accessible via archive.li– reveals that the suspected shooter bought into quite a few baseless conspiracy theories, most of them anti-Semitic. Bowers expressed his dislike for both Democrats and Republicans on multiple occasions, posted anti-Semitic and racist caricatures, and spread multiple Nazi, white nationalist narratives on the platform.
The conspiracy theories Bowers appears to have bought into were spread by many prominent figures on the American right, President Trump included.
The heroic police response to today’s mass shooting in a Pittsburgh synagogue has been revealed as details emerge of the terrifying events, as reported by the Daily Mail. Four police officers who rushed into heavy automatic weapon fire to take down the assailant were among the six injured. Shooter Robert Bowers succeeded in murdering eleven people at a baby-naming ceremony in the Tree of Life synagogue, but according to Allegheny County Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich, the officers prevented an even greater tragedy.
Speaking of the officers who responded to the call with extreme courage under fire, Hissrich held back tears.
“Without their courage this tragedy would have been far worse.”
At 9:49 AM, the 46-year-old Bowers posted on the social media platform Gab before entering the synagogue. His message criticized the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, a Jewish organization that advocates for immigrants and refugees.
Five minutes later, the first 9-1-1 calls reporting an active shooter in the synagogue began to come in.
Members of the Saudi hit squad who allegedly killed Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Istanbul consulate celebrated in the taxi on their way home, a Turkish driver of the team revealed.
According to a report by the Sunday Times, the Turkish driver drove “part of the assassination team — including a senior intelligence officer close to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman — to and from the airport and the Saudi consulate in Istanbul where the alleged murder took place.”
According to Turkey’s pro-government website, A Haber, the driver said that members of the hit squad were “very cheerful. They smoked and drank alcohol in the car after killing the journalist.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has “furiously” demanded that Saudi Arabia extradite the 18 Saudi suspects held over Jamal Khashoggi’s murder to Turkey.
The Powerball winning numbers for October 27 are in, and everyone who lost out on the chance to become a billionaire with the Mega Millions jackpot earlier in the week will have a second chance to join the ultra-wealthy.
The jackpot for Saturday’s drawing rose to $750 million thanks to a losing streak that stretches all the way back to the summer. The prize is now among the largest in lottery history, eclipsed only by the previous two Mega Millions drawing and a series of January 2016 Powerball drawings worth $1 billion and $1.5 billion (the October 27 winning Powerball numbers can be found below).
As ABC 7 Chicago reported, the multi-state lottery had seven second-tier winners in Wednesday’s drawing, with lucky ticket-holders in Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, and Wisconsin taking home $1 million for matching five numbers.
Did anyone win Saturday’s $750 million Powerball drawing? If not, then America could have another billionaire sometime next week.
The October 27 Powerball drawing rose to $750 million thanks to a months-long streak with no jackpot winners. The prize was among the five largest in lottery history, though it was eclipsed by the consecutive billion-dollar Mega Millions drawings this week that culminated with a $1.5 billion winner on Tuesday. As Time noted, the largest jackpot of all time was a $1.586 billion prize back in January 2016.
It will likely be early on Sunday morning before Powerball announces if anyone won the $750 million prize and if not then the prize could approach the $1 billion mark again, as the unawarded prize money rolls over and excess ticket sales are added in.